When given the task of writing, many thoughts flow through my head. The biggest question I have is whether or not I will finish on time. I try to get started as soon as possible to maximize the time I have. Depending on the topic, I can write a strong paper or a weak one. If the topic is something I'm not to fond of, I tend to not do as well. With that said, a topic I am interested in usually ends with a good paper. I'd like to think I am not to terrible at writing. In class last year, I wrote a decently strong research paper on the "Legalization of Marijuana" which scored me an A. Other papers I had written also scored high. With that said, my writing can obviously improve but I am capable decent work.
I think I will do well on units where we read. Units with writing will be more difficult. I find it difficult to put my thoughts on to paper. I tend to worry if my paper doesn't seem to have enough depth. So hopefully this year, I will learn new writing techniques. I was wondering about the portfolio assignment. How many drafts of each paper will actually be required? Will each paper be worth a substanial amount? Will the portfolio be worth something all together? How much will the portfolio impact my overall grade?
I can understand how writing about things that aren't of interest could be harder to write. The problem is just how you get started on an assignment. By doing lots of planning and pre-writing, you can come up with at least enough to say to cover the topic.
ReplyDeleteMost of the reading that we do will be accompanied by writing assignments. As you've seen thus far, we already do a lot of writing, formal or informal.
As far as the portfolio, the final product will be worth a certain number of points equal to about 15-20% of your total semester grade. The work that goes into the actual portfolio will be stuff that you've already written. You'll be choosing pieces of writing and then cleaning them up and writing additional reflections about the writing as you go along. Basically it will be a way to display your best works and think through the writing process.
Hope that answers some of your questions!