This summer, my band played in Davenport, Ia at Rally On The River. That was by far the biggest stage we played on and we all had a great time. The day wasn't all fun though. The morning was filled with problem after problem and we didn't know if we'd even be able to play. Overall though, it was a great time.
Everytime we play a show, I don't stay out too late the night before and like to get rested up. Our guitar player on the other hand, had a very late night and slept in. When he eventually did show up to set up we were almost completely done. After we got the trailer all packed up, we took off for the west end of Davenport. We ended up going into the wrong entrance at Centennial Park. After awhile we got everything squared up. We were set to play at one o'clock so of course we arrived over an hour early to set up. Come to find out, the headlining band hadn't done sound check so we waited and waited and waited. I started to get irritable but finally we had our chance to set up.
Our slot time was originally from 1-1:30. We didn't end up going on stage until after two. We had to cut down on songs for the time limitations but at least we still got 45 minutes worth of playing time. Even though we had some troubles at first, that was by far one of the best shows we have ever played. The sound was good, the crowd enjoyed it, and it was just a damn good time.
After the show, I was walking around Rally On The River. I walked past the "Hell's Angels" tent when a senior member approached me. It was pretty cool because he had nothing but good things to say about the performance and other club members agreed. I too ride a motorcycle so biker gangs are even cooler to me. I'm glad we got the experience to play on a huge stage in front of a diverse audience. I hope next year at the rally, we will be invited back.
Great story! If we redo this blog, I would suggest more detail. I think any reader would like to know how you felt throughout the story, like when the guitar player was late and how you felt when you found out you had to cut songs. I would like to know more than "it was pretty cool" to have a senior member approach you about your performance. I think you could elaborate about how you went into the wrong entrance at the park and how the other members of the band felt.
ReplyDeleteIt is a really good story and has a lot of potential. I just need to know more!
That really is an awesome story. It definitely needs more detail. What were you thinking when all the issues were happening. What was the reaction of the crowd in detail? How did their reaction make you feel? What types of things did the senior member say to you? Just add more detail and it will be awesome!
ReplyDelete